Monday, June 29, 2009

Artists, Blogs,Artists Who Blog, Books and Freelancing

There are so many artsy blogs out there! I've been trying to keep track of my favourites... to learn about their process, what inspires them, etc. There are so many talented people out there who I can learn from and who are willing to share their experience. I am particularly greatful for Holli Conger who shares her journey to becoming a freelance illustrator. You must check it out if you are considering a freelance illustrating career like I am (well,mine will be a super slow journey...I'm starting by moonlighting). I would jump right into it fulltime if I had a couple of years of salary saved up.

A co-worker of mine recommended that I read 'The Boss of You'. After reading some reviews on it and finding out more about it on Amazon I will definitely be reading it! Right now I'm reading My So-Called Freelance Life by Michelle Goodman which I stumbled upon while reading some book reviews. So, ya, my first step was to write down my goals.

My goals are pretty simple:
- create art/things and make a decent living from selling them
- to make enough to be able to stay at home, take my kids to school and be part of their lives when they are not in school and just have more family time.

My problem is I enjoy making all sorts of things from sculpting with clay to felting to digital 3D/2D art and illustration. I need to focus on one thing! After that I can draft out a plan. But like I said... I'm taking my time with this because I need to keep my day job.





No comments: